Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 421A question

  1. #1
    Inactive Member hardprom's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2003
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So I'm about to start my VOT A7 project (and a public thank you to Dave Fitts) and I've been offered a chance to grab a pair of 15" Altec 421As...I'm unfamiliar with this model, and would appreciate any info regarding them. I plan to use them as PA mains for a rock & roll band, if that makes any difference. How good are they? How natural do they sound? What would be a reasonable asking price, etc.? They seem to be in great shape.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Roland N R's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello:

    The 421A is a 15" musical speaker used primarily as bass drivers in PA gear or bass amps. Usually placed in bass reflex cabs with or w/o horn tweets. They would not be the best choice for horn use in a A5-7 VOT cab. Their response is peaky compared to a 416, 515B or G. Usually sell for about $100 in Ebay. Would make great PA in bass reflex cab with horn and only fair driver for HiFi in VOT enclosure. You may consider using them in VOT for musical PA with the advantage of having a driver with a rugged heat resistant voice coil (100 watts)


    Roland

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Charles Chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I believe that's exactly what Janis Joplin and the Kozmic Blues band used when I saw them, if that's any recommendation. A7's with 421's.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member hardprom's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2003
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I suppose I should expand...I'll be using the VOTs along with a pair of Peavey MF1X horns...

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Roland N R's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    421 is fair driver in VOT for HiFI
    421 is good driver in VOT for Musical PA- try to get for $150-200/pair

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.